What if I say video games are like your virtual siblings? In fact, by the end of 2018, the gaming industry has generated revenue of more than US$134.9 billion annually worldwide.
As most gamers know, video games were born at the time computers became popular. The games like Pong and Space Invaders were the first of their kind to globally set a benchmark for gameplay mechanics.
Hi, I’m Manoj, and today I will be sharing my knowledge with you on the popularity of video games. Why video games became popular, let’s dig this!
Why Video Games Become Popular? An overview
Research has shown that video games are highly attractive on aesthetics. Enjoyment and relaxation these virtual worlds give you an engulfing environment.
In the past decade, the gaming industry has reached new heights. From 8 bit to 4K gaming at bit frame rates over 120fps, things are going to get excited.
Did you know that in the 1970s the first multiplayer game types were installed in restaurants and pubs? The US-based clubs popularized competition in the players and this way more interactive games were born.
Atari VCS, the first domestic gaming machine was launched in 1977 was the gamechanger for video games coming to homes.
With time gaming evolved and so evolved the mechanics. From 2D to 3D, if we talk about 2021, we have the latest tech by Sony called PlayStation 5. For PC gamers there exist a Ryzen series graphics card that can render almost every game flawlessly.
But why video games become popular? Are these virtual buddies addictive or good still lies a topic of debate? But today we’ll be focusing on the key factors that were behind the rise of the gaming industry.
Factors Responsible for the Video Games Popularity
- Video games were installed as an indoor game alternative. This little computer became so popular later on because parents found a way to keep their children safe from any harm that outdoor sports can lead to. (wounds & injury)
- Video games were interactive. Unlike TV shows where you can only watch what’s being telecast, video games gave the user freedom to interact with the console via remotes.
- Video games became popular because they gave rise to a two-way process where your input resulted in visual output.
- The decades of the industrial revolution gave job opportunities to many but reduced the time people could spend with their families. Boredom and monotony could result in depression and here video games came to the rescue.
- Families could play video games together and kill the monotony and loneliness.
- Video games make you feel like superheroes, don’t they? Things that you can perform while playing video games can only be imagined in the real world.
- High-speed car chases, shooting, treasure hunting, or being a cat, are small things but video games gave our fantasies a platform where you could be anyone whom you want to be.
- Video games help you choose your avatar and be known by that identity in the gaming world. There are people in the real world who are great at doing things but hesitate to share their identities with the online world.
- Gaming avatars let them choose them their looks, voices, dress codes and even a signature move. This was yet another reason why video games become popular.
- Video games are educational too. Chess games, puzzle games, alphabetical puzzles and more enhance your thinking abilities. Brainstorming and decision-making are increased when playing video games.
This was one of the prime reasons why video games became popular with time in most of the regions across the world.
- Video games are cheaper if compared to equivalent gaming PCs. Video games today can be bought in less than a thousand USD but high-performing gaming rigs start from a couple of thousand dollars.
- Video games are cheaper than computers. Be it the 1970s video games or the next-gen console PS5.
- Video games are aesthetically appealing. The perfection in-game level designs, the digital engineering in the gaming world, the character designs and animations are more than perfect.
In fact, some games like GTA 5 and Hellblade-Senua’s sacrifice are so real in visual and sound effects that you are totally engulfed in the gaming experience they render.
- Video games were fun and wanted you to win. In real life, a race that you lose can’t be restarted. A match lost can’t be won but video games gave you the option to restart. This is one of the major reasons why video games became popular. No matter how noob you are in gaming, the difficulties can be altered.
- More or less, even if you lose you have an option to restart the whole area or chapter. This feature can’t exist in another form of sports or recreational activities.
- Video games offer multiple genres! The video game world is so vast that it has something or the other to offer to everyone. For example, here is the list of the most famous gaming genres that evolved with time.
- Real-time strategy (RTS)
- Shooters (FPS and TPS)
- Multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA)
- Role-playing (RPG, ARPG, and More)
- Simulation and sports.
- Puzzlers and party games.
Not only the above but there are far beyond micro-genres where video games are gaining popularity every day. This is why video games have become one of the most popular forms of indoor games across the world.
Gaming simulators and arcade gaming has provided a real-like feeling when games are played. The list is vast when it comes to gaming library as if we talk about 2020, more than 33500 games were only on Steam. Talking about others, the list may exceed far long. Here’s Wiki’s Data on Video Games in 2020
Video games are exciting and fun. The more you play them, the more you want to play them!
This was for now from ComingGames. Will come up with more in the upcoming blogs. Subscribe to Coming Games on YouTube for more interesting gaming videos